Is Microcement a Good Choice For Bathrooms?
The Forcrete microcement system is unique, in that it provides comprehensive waterproofing which resides in every layer. This makes it the perfect choice for showers, wet rooms, and bathrooms. Other benefits of using microcement in the shower include its versatile application, a smooth grouting-free surface, and a stylish finish in any colour you wish. DirectStone is an approved installer of Forcrete microcement.
What is Microcement?
Microcement is an innovative epoxy coating for floors and walls. The result of a decade’s research and development, it is fast becoming one of the UK’s most popular choices for bathrooms and showers. Forcrete Microcement can be applied on top of existing tiling, it’s 100% waterproof on application, offers unrivalled strength, and is entirely solvent free.
INSTALLING MICROCEMENT IN THE SHOWER
There’s no heavy machinery involved in the installation of microcement; instead the coating is expertly hand trowelled to create a smooth, seamless surface. DirectStone microcement specialists can achieve a range of finishes for your shower or bathroom floor and walls. Whether you’re looking for the elegance of polished concrete, or a satin natural sheen, we can create the texture and colour you desire.
- Creating the Sub-Base. The surface needs to be flat and keyed in order to achieve a finely scratched surface to which the coating will adhere. If, for example, the microcement is applied over tiles, the joints will need to be filled.
- Preparing the Surface. This is a critical stage in microcement installation. The surface onto which the epoxy coating is going to be applied must be cleaned carefully to ensure the no grit, dust or contaminant spoils the cement.
- Hand Trowelling Application. The coating is applied at a thickness of 3-4mm. We recommend professional application in order to achieve the smooth finish that microcement has the potential to achieve.
- Applying Sealer. In some microcement systems the sealer is used for waterproofing. This is not the case with DirectStone; the Forcrete system is fully waterproof on application and the sealer is applied for enhanced dirt and stain resistance.
- Shower Walls and Floors. Walk in showers are now popular, and we can create a hygienic, low maintenance, walk in shower that looks stunning, and offers the long-lasting strength and durability required in bathrooms and wet rooms.
Underfloor Heating for Luxurious Bathrooms
The thermal conductivity of the layers which make up the microcement system makes it a perfect material for use with underfloor heating in your bathroom. You’ll find that you can achieve excellent results with electric, or piped UFH; fast, even coverage of heat is ensured as a result of the seamless surface.
What Colours is Microcement Available in?
Whatever colour you want, is the simple answer. Microcement in the shower comes in a huge range of colours you to choose from. If, however, you have a particular colour in mind, DirectStone can colour match Pantone, RAL, NCS and many of the high-end paint manufacturers’ colours at no extra cost. We’re also able to vary both the intensity and the shade of your chosen colour, to identically match it to your bathroom’s interior décor.
DirectStone is a family-run business, based at Wrest Park in Bedfordshire, with a reputation for creating beautiful flooring and walls for bathrooms, kitchens, and residential living spaces – indoors and out. We can install microcement in the shower or bathroom of your new build, renovation project, period property, or as part of your home improvement project.
Our flooring specialists work across the UK mainly in London, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, and Suffolk.
Are you considering microcement in the shower or bathroom? Why not call DirectStone today and talk to one of our microcement installers? – 01525 20863920