The Trend for Polished Concrete Flooring in the Kitchen
There was a time – believe it or not – that wall-to-wall carpeting in the kitchen was quite the thing! Since the bad old days of the 70s and 80s though the direction of travel has been towards more practical flooring solutions such as stone, tiles, or laminates. It wasn’t until the early 2000s that the polished concrete flooring kitchen became popular. Unlike many other passing trends, the DirectStone team believe this one will endure.
Polished concrete flooring has a natural beauty that’s hard to beat. It’s minimalist, stylish and elegant, and it will literally last a lifetime. Householders weary of ripping up tiles to install the ‘latest trend’ appreciate concrete kitchen floors for their understated style and longevity. Commercial kitchen managers looking for low maintenance, high quality kitchen flooring have embraced it as the solution they’ve been waiting for. All-in-all it’s got the thumbs-up from clients across the UK.
Advantages of a Polished Concrete Flooring Kitchen
Polished concrete flooring looks good in virtually any location, but there are a number of additional benefits attached to installing it in the kitchen:
- Hygienic. A polished concrete kitchen floor doesn’t have grouting joints for bacteria or dirt to shelter in. Nor does it release any volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air, making it a safe choice for the health of the family.
- Good-Looking. Often, it’s the elegance of gleaming polished concrete that sells it. Whether you want the organic stone hues that characterise this flooring, or you prefer a colour that matches your décor, this flooring will wow your visitors.
- Easy-to-Clean. When we say ‘easy’, it’s really easy – which is what you want in a kitchen! The most important cleaning task is brushing your concrete flooring regularly to keep it grit-free. Apart from that, it simply needs wiping over with a mild detergent.
- No Joints. Want to create a multi-use, open plan kitchen? Polished concrete gives you a seamless vista between dining spaces, prep areas and study zones. It’s also perfect for an inside/outside kitchen as polished concrete is also perfect for patios.
- Underfloor Heating. Concrete is the ideal partner for underfloor heating. Thanks to its thermal mass, concrete heats up fast, and holds the heat well, even after the heating source is turned off.
Alternatively, we can produce matte finishes, or a creamy effect in which the surface past is not ground back to reveal the ballast beneath. Instead, the natural surface is polished to enhance the natural colouration of the stone used to make the concrete. Usually, the effect achieved is a deep ochre, or earthy brown.
Concrete Floor Installation Alternatives
DirectStone flooring specialists will take a look at your residential or commercial kitchen and offer specialist guidance on what’s possible.
1. Existing Concrete Slab
One of the great things about a polished concrete kitchen floor is that it helps the planet as well as looking stylish. Many clients are able to polish an existing concrete slab, so no new material is added. If you’ve had tiles or carpeting over the concrete, there may be residual marks which can be integrated into the patterning of the finish.
2. Freshly Laid Slab
Concrete kitchen floors are particularly popular for new-build homes. The DirectStone team regularly create stunning flooring for new kitchens using the concrete which is laid as their foundation. We achieve a range of finishes from matte, through to a shimmering lustre, and the WOW factor high gloss.
3. Concrete Overlays
If your existing concrete slab is flawed, or contaminated with oil, fats or grease, a polished overlay is a cost-effective, good-looking alternative. The process of laying a polished concrete floor overlay is different from polishing concrete, but the outcome is no less impressive – in fact it’s hard to tell the difference.
If you want an installation that incorporates flooring, walls, and worktops, we recommend microcement. This totally waterproof, epoxy product looks and feels like polished concrete, but can be installed on any surface. It comes in a huge variety of colours and DirectStone will RAL colour match it to your décor for no extra cost.
DirectStone is a family-run business with a long tradition of creating beautiful, polished concrete flooring kitchen environments. We provide residential polished kitchen flooring, and commercial concrete floors for hotels, airports, restaurants, offices, schools and showrooms. We work throughout the UK mainly in London, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, and Suffolk.
If you are interested in a polished concrete flooring kitchen and have any questions, or would like a project priced, call our friendly team today on 01525 20863920